Gynaecomastia Laser Lipolysis
Gynaecomastia is the excess development of breasts in males. This pathology can cause a great emotional impact on the patient. Laser lipolysis is a minimally invasive and traumatic treatment that restores the masculine appearance of the chest.
What is gynaecomastia?
It is the benign enlargement of the mammary glands in males, which can occur in both breasts or just one.
In general, gynaecomastia is the convergence of two characteristics:
- Development of mammary glands.
- Excess fat tissue.
When the fat tissue increases without proliferation of the mammary gland, the condition is known as pseudo-gynaecomastia, in obese or overweight patients.
This cosmetic problem can affect the patient's personal and social relationships, where theyadopt special behaviours in an attempt to hide the condition. For example, avoiding uncovering their torso in public.
Gynaecomastia is an aesthetic problem that can affect the patient's social life
Causes of gynaecomastia
This pathology can occur both in childhood and puberty as well as in adulthood. Childhood and pubertal gynaecomastia has physiological causes, is usually transitory and remits spontaneously. The causes of adult gynaecomastia are:
- Hormone imbalances.
- Intake of certain medication.
- Abuse of certain drugs.
- Use of performance-enhancing drugs.
- Genetic factors.
- Klinefelter's syndrome.
- Liver and kidney diseases.
- Increased body fat, that can elevate oestrogen levels.
Laser lipolysis: minimally invasive treatment for gynaecomastia
Laser lipolysis or Lipolaser is a laser-assisted technique that removes the fat tissue with less trauma and greater safety than the traditional method. It consists of subcutaneous application of two types of laser: 924 nm, that destroys the fatty tissue, and 975 nm, that tightens the skin and induces collagen formation.
In males, fat accumulation in the breasts is not usually of very high volume, but the pectoral and armpit skin is prone to flaccidity. This is why skin retraction is very important is treating gynaecomastia.
Laser lipolysis is indicated both for treatment of the glandular and fat tissue, typical of gynaecomastia, as well as to remove accumulated fat from the breasts caused by excessive weight.
Description of the procedure
- Laser lipolysis is an outpatient treatment that does not require hospitalisation and it is performed under local tumescent Klein type anaesthesia.
- The physician makes a tiny incision where a Toledo dissector cannula is inserted, severing the gland support, which facilitates lodging of all the fat-glandular tissue in its interior. The breast tissue has a structure made up of collagen and elastin fibres, that maintain a shape similar to that of a tent. Ablation of this structure allows for elimination of this effect and prevents the appearance of pubertal breasts.
- If the axillary prolongation is pronounced, which often occurs in obese patients, the physician may make 2 incisions.
- Once the glandular structure is destroyed, the physician inserts a fine and flexible cannula under the skin with an optical fibre on the end that delivers the laser energy. The optical fibre reaches the breast fat tissue. Its energy caused fat liquefaction, which is then extracted with another, much finer, liposuction cannula.
- To conclude, the physician inserts the optical fibre once again to contract the skin.
- The patient can return home on their own an hour after the procedure.
- The clotting effect of the laser reduces bleeding and bruising, making recovery much faster and comfortable that traditional method.
- The patient can go back to their normal activity 48 after treatment.
Results of Laser lipolysis for gynaecomastia
Laser lipolysis results for gynaecomastia treatment are permanent and successful:
- It removes 85% of the glandular tissue and excess fat from the breasts.
- The skin remains firm and totally adjusted to the new outline of the pectorals, with no flaccidity.
- Scarring is minimal, practically invisible.
Results are definitive as far as volume is concerned, just one month after the Laser lipolysis treatment. The skin may take a little longer to complete its contraction, since collagen and elastin regeneration is not an immediate process.
Before and after photographs of gynaecomastia treatment with Laser lipolysis
Other areas where laser lipolysis can be performed
For personalised information of gynaecomastia treatment, contact IML now and we will give you a free informative consultation with one of our medical experts.